Thursday, April 5, 2012

She Walks in Beauty by: Siri Mitchell



During New York City's Gilded Age ...

THE GAME

is played amid banquets and balls.

THE PRIZE

is a lifetime of wealth and priviledge.

THE RULES

will test friendships and the desires of a young woman's heart.

Clara Carter is the social season's brightest cost ...

but at what cost?


Clara is going to make her debut a year earlier than planned. Her governess, friend to her since her mother died, is fired by her controlling aunt ... leaving her without anyone to teach her mathematics and literature. Instead she learns the importance of communication with a fan and dancing.

The dashing De Vries heir is desired by all, but competition is scarce. He is looking for just the right girl and has found what he wants in Clara ... and Clara's best friend. They promise each other nothing will come between them, but can they withstand the pressure of their parents pushing them away from each other and one man who can't decide between the two of them?

My thoughts:

I had mixed feelings about She Walks in Beauty.

Let's start with the good things.

  •  THE COVER ART IS GORGEOUS AND I L♥VE THE TITLE. (Now that that's off my chest...)
  • The time period is AMAZING. I LOVE THIS ERA. 
  • Clara is sooooooooo easy to relate to. Although near the end she started to bug me.

Not so good things...

Don't you hate it when you find a great book and it has some things that make it not as great???!

Clara finds out that her mother died when her womb fell out of her body because her corset was too tight. It makes my heart constrict just thinking about it. Maybe that's not a "bad" thing, but it was kind of awkward.

The De Vries heir asks Clara to "do it" with him and she refuses. I was thinking GO CLARA!!!! but I wish they had not put that in the book.

Clara's best friend, Lizzie, bugs me to no end. But I had to read this book through twice, and the second time she seemed a little better. Still, though.

Clara's aunt is kind of frustrating, but you also have to feel kind of sorry for her. Come to think on it, I actually found Clara frustrating. But I don't know why. She's pretty cool. She just ... I don't know. Maybe it's just me. :) Have you read it? What did you think of her?

The book has no language or alcohol content or violence. Just ... romance. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the cover too. I know half the historical romance's on the market have pretty dresses with beautiful girls, but still. Sigh.
    This book seems like it has a interesting plot. Can't wait to read it!
    ~Sarah F.

    www.inlinedwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete